I have a love affair with my Vitamix. Shocking, right? I make peanut butter and almond milk at home, because the preservatives in the store bought products scare me off. Let’s face it, they never taste as good as homemade. I don’t even want to know what they put in the products to extend the shelf life. Ew.
I never tried to make almond butter because I assumed I had to add oil to get the right consistency. Wrong. This recipe is so simple and easy it only requires one ingredient. If you don’t have a Vitamix you can make this in your food processor. Keep it mind it will take more time and you will probably have to add oil. Better yet, just get a Vitamix or ask Santa for one.
I buy my almonds in bulk at Costco and store them in airtight containers. I roast a baking sheet worth of almonds for snacking or to make butter. I prefer the nuttiness of the roasted nuts, but I also enjoy the raw almond butter too. Either one will work.
- 2-4 cups almonds (roasted or raw)
- Put almonds into container
- Start at Variable 1, quickly turn to 10, then flip to high
- Use the tamper to push the nuts into the blades. (Note: Your Vitamix will make different noises. Don’t worry it can take it. Whatever you do do not stop until the butter is formed. If you stop you risk the chance of overheating your machine.
- Run for about 1 minute or until you reach the desired consistency
- Put almond butter into container and lick the warm deliciousness of the tamper