We all know quinoa is a superfood. Did you know it’s the perfect rice substitute for fried rice?! I love being able to enjoy a bowl of this quinoa fried rice goodness without stressing about the refined carbs. I’m a white rice lover. I grew up eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I still enjoy it. However, I like to do a little healthy makeover on all my favorites. I just know you will enjoy this one too!
Note: I like to cook my quinoa in chicken broth instead of water for more flavor.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 chicken breast, sliced thinly
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 12 oz. bag frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2-4 tbsp of soy sauce, to taste (you may also use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or Coconut Aminos)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Heat wok or large skillet to medium high.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Add coconut oil till melted then add chicken, stir frequently.
- When chicken is almost done add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent.
- In a separate pan, cook the eggs as scrambled eggs until done.
- When onions are cooked through, add frozen peas and carrots to the wok. Stir frequently for even cooking.
- Add quinoa to wok and stir. Cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Pour soy sauce around the rim of the wok. Fold quinoa mixture in from the outside edges. Stir until soy sauce is well incorporated. Feel free to add more soy sauce to taste.
- Add cooked eggs.
- Finish with sesame oil.
What I love most about fried rice dishes are you can always customize them. Don’t want chicken? No problem! Want more veggies? Throw those suckers in! Have fun in the kitchen and adjust to your dietary needs.