Now that school has officially started so has the busy afternoon schedules. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed between school, homework, dinner, sports, music lesson, cooking classes, or whatever your child is into. Cramming everything in between after school pickup and bed time can give the best mamas a migraine. Well, today I am sharing some of my favorite tips to tame the after school chaos.
2. Eat a snack. If my son doesn’t eat a snack after school he gets
a little hangry.
3. Ask your kids open-ended questions about their day. Check out my post featuring 10 questions to ask your kids after school. Don’t just ask “how was your day?”
4. Go through their backpack. See what papers need to be signed and homework that needs to be done.
5. Do homework. After snack is the perfect time because they got a chance to settle in at home and they’re brains are re-fueled.
6. Let them play. Whether it’s an after-school sport or just playing in the backyard or home. Give your child a break from homework. Getting your body going can help refocus if there’s a lot of draining homework.
7. Do something they want to do. Spend quality time with them. Play basketball outside, a board game, draw. Get that quality time in on the days you can.
8. Eat dinner as a family. I know this can be hard with multiple schedules but your kids will remember family dinners for the rest of their lives. Make sure to have no phones at the table and no tv playing. Just enjoy each other! Unless, it’s Monday Night Football and there is a really big game playing. Maybe that’s a day to have a picnic in the living room…kidding. Not really. 🙂
9. Do chores. This can be as simple as getting ready for bed or helping you with laundry. It really depends on your family’s schedule, age, and routine.
10. Meal Plan. Having dinner planned out makes a huge difference in your day. Trust me, I’ve made that mistake too many times. When your kids are hungry and you’re exhausted it helps to have something already cooking in the crock pot or have a game plan in place.
Don’t forget to have a cup of tea or glass of wine after the kids go to bed. Mama needs some quiet time to relax or catch up on the latest episode of Real Housewives. Am I right?
What helps you get through the hectic after-school pickup?